- Audio books
- Parallel translations
- innerFrench These podcasts helped me get going with French. Hugo speaks quite slowly in the first few podcasts, so that you gain confidence with understanding French. He discusses many different topics; listening to a podcast twice is still nice.
- Français Authentique Johan explains all sorts of things about the French language and personal development. The idea is the same as with innerFrench: teach a language to students by talking about all sorts of topics, rather than focus on grammar or vocabulary. There is a youtube channel too.
- Français avec Pierre Another podcast for French learners. Has a youtube channel too.
These podcasts are a bit hard, I guess the target audience is French natives.
- Choses a savoir There are several other podcasts associated with this podcasts, about health, history, one for children, and some more.
- La Conservation scientifique
- La Méthode scientifique
- Sixième Science
- Podcasts Interstices: nice and short interviews mostly on computer science topics
- Sur les épaules de Darwin Nice topics, but I could not stand the voice of the presenter.
- Change ma vie The author speaks about personel development. I mainly listen to it because she has a clear voice. She speaks a bit fast at times, but since she pronouces very clearly, it is still easy to understand.
- Les Bonnes choses: discussions on cooking
- L’air du son: interviews on voice and speaking
- innerFrench Hugo Cotton really helps to understand French.
- C’est pas sorcier A channel for children. Discusses an enormous range of topics.
- Chat Sceptique: Cartoon, statistics explained to a cat.
- El Jj: mathematics
- e-penser: general science questions, the guy speaks pretty fast. Its quite hard at times.
- Fouloscopie Discussions of crowd behavior
- Hygiène Mentale A sceptical look on things.
- Lanterne Cosmique I don’t know how to characterize this channel, but I find the topics nice.
- Le Monde De Jamy Similar to C’est pas sorcier, but only with Jamy
- Les idées froides: A channel on physics, mainly relativity related
- Mickaël Launay Maths in French.
- ScienceEtonnante Science questions discussed by a fellow phycisist.
- Tu mourras moins bête: Funny cartoons on science questions.
- Une promenade mathématique… Dimensions and the website that goes with it.
- Zeste de Science: Very nicely made, general science channel.
- Des Racines et des Ailes: Nice movies about architecture, landscape, French regions, and so on.
- 1000 idées de culture générale Philosophy with French subtitles. The author speaks relatively slowly so its easy to follow.
Via Librivox you can find and download tonnes of free audio books.
I learned a lot from parallel translations.
- The bible for kids Very useful. I once read the stories as a kid, so I knew the stories already. That helped me lot in guessing the meaning of words I didn’t know, so that I could just continue reading, rather than spend hours with a dictionary.
- Anki is very useful to learn words. It is based on spaced repetition; if you’re interested just search for this concept.